Alongside our portfolio of targeted R&D projects, we are actively involved in broader discussion with industry and public institutions about the future of digital technology and its business and societal contexts.
UK Collaborative R&D Networks and Strategy Initiatives
The IT Innovation Centre participates in a wide range of UK networks and initiatives, including the ICT Knowledge Transfer Network (ICT KTN), the Creative Industries Knowledge Transfer Network (CIKTN), the Future Internet Strategy Group, including contributions to the Future Internet Report, and the IoT Special Interest Group, including co-authorship of a Roadmap for Interdisciplinary Research.
We are involved in a wide range of European strategic initiatives, technology platforms, working groups and expert groups, some of which are outlined below.
- Future Internet Assembly (FIA): The European Future Internet Assembly, known as FIA, is a collaboration between projects that have recognised the need to strengthen European activities on the Future Internet to maintain European competitiveness in the global marketplace. The IT Innovation Centre is a member of the FIA Steering Committee.
- Networked & Electronic Media Initiative (NEM): The NEM Initiative is focussed on the seamless delivery of different media over technologically transparent networks. NEM drives the convergence of new and existing technologies, including broadband, mobile and new media, across all ICT sectors. Its aim is to promote and direct the large-scale initiative needed to accelerate the pace of innovation and rate of technology evolution to the level that will place European Industry at the forefront of the technology and give users an incredible choice of services. The IT Innovation Centre is a member of the NEM Steering Board.
- Networked European Software and Services Initiative (NESSI): The NESSI mission is to
The IT Innovation Centre is a NESSI Partner and a member of both the NESSI Board and Steering Committee.
- provide thought leadership in Europe on the convergence of the networks of data, things and services and the transformation into a new digital society, on the technological and socio-economic implications, and on the consequent business opportunities;
- drive convergence and transformation by strengthening and advancing the software and service-based economies in Europe;
- stimulate the creation of ecosystems around software, services, and data; and
- provide visionary, comprehensive input to the European Commission, thereby shaping the European research and innovation agenda.